Translate

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Dresden Challenge Entry and Blog Hop Winner!

It's better to live your own life imperfectly than to imitate someone else's perfectly.   -Elizabeth Gilbert


Ok, all summer long my sister at Hilachas has been reminding me about the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild's Dresden Challenge..........she knows I've been working on the "famous" State Bird Dresden Quilt for my son and she also kept reminding me that the little mini quilt topper I made for Mama for Mother's day would definitely qualify in the Mini Quilt division............

I don't know if you remember the story of how Irene and I came to have so many dresden petals;  from time to time Irene and her husband pick up Mom and Dad and spirit them away to their little ranch in the Texas Hill Country.  My Dad loves to go out to the blinds and watch for the wild hogs that come out mostly in the evening..........and my Mom, not so much.........she would rather stay in the house.  In this case, she was watching TV and cutting out Dresden Petals.......and cutting.........and cutting..........and cutting...........need I say more?  There were so many Dresden petals that Irene gave me enough for a quilt and the little topper that I made Mom for Mother's Day and there were still enough left for two more quilts......and then some..........Lol..............

Ok then, here is my entry in the mini division:



 I hope you will click on the link below or on the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild's Logo and check out all the beautiful entries.................



P.S..........still working on the State Bird Dresden...............it's in the quilting stage but gosh it is a lot of work to turn that huge quilt around while going around 20 plates!  (Note to self:  when making applique quilts......make them SMALL)............

And also I want to thank all of you who entered my giveaway on the Back to School Blog Hop....all you, my faithful followers who keep coming back week after week (what would I do without your encouragement?).....and I got lots of new followers who I hope will keep coming back, as well...........
........but without further ado I want to let you know who the winner of those fabulous pocket packs from Fort Worth Fabric Studio is:

According to Mr. Random............who picked comment #123:
Our winner is Shirley Tener who said:


Congratulations, Shirley........the pocket packs are already heading your way!

Ok...........I have a date upstairs with the State Bird Dresden Quilt so I will say Ta-Ta for now...............

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow thats a beautiful table topper ,well done Ida.xx

Missy Shay said...

I have started my first Dresden plate quilt this week. So far I have the wedges sewn and pressed. tomorrow, I need to sew the wedges together to form the plates!

Hilachas said...

Gorgeous table topper. Ya'll should see it in "real life." I'm so glad you entered this one and I have confidence in your ability to finish the Bird Dresdie. Was there a One-Flower Wednesday flower that I missed?

Needled Mom said...

I am going to have to check out all of the Dresdens. Your mini looks wonderful and I love the story of how you ended up with so many petals. Are you also going to enter the state birds in the contest? I have always loved the Dresden Plate designs.

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

What a cute mini! :) Have not tried dresdens yet, but they are intriguing. Hmm... too many other things to finish first. ;) Hope you do well in the contest! xoxo

KaHolly said...

Delightful table toopper! Where in TX are you? I winter in New Braunfels, summer in Cape Breton, Canada. Good luck in the challenge! ~karen

Gill said...

Thanks for a great giveaway and congratulations to Shirley!
I love your table topper!

Unknown said...

I like that you used a contrasting thread to applique the plates. At first glance I thought that it was a green border around the plate! Nice job!

Cherie said...

Wow that sounds like a heck of a lot of Dresdens...maybe you could sell them!
Gosh the quilting sounds awful, I dread the thought of quilting and trying to fit it all through Jano...poor thing wont know what hit him! =D