Translate

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Vintage Thingie Thursday! Grandma Amanda's Montgomery Ward Stove

"A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road."   - Henry Ward Beecher

I am so excited today to share with you a wonderful "Vintage Thingie" that has been in our family for a very long time.  This is my Grandma Amanda's Montgomery Ward Cook Stove.  I was fortunate enough to care for it for about 2 years when I was living in her old house in the 1980's.


Isn't it beautiful?  My Grandmother, my Daddy's mom, Amanda....(the grandchildren all called her "Mamanda").....made the best sugar cookies in the world on this stove.  They were almost like shortbread because they were soft and they just melted in your mouth.  I remember asking her for the recipe when I was a teenager.  Her measurements were not in cups and teaspoons but in handfuls and fingers.  (You can imagine what a teenager was able to do with that)
......Well after MaManda passed away and during the time that I was actually using her stove my Aunt Lucera, her daughter,  gave me the treasured recipe in measurements I could decipher and reminded me that it was a "Family Recipe" and that she had never given it to anyone else.  The cookies I made in that stove tasted just like the original!  When the house was sold my Dad moved the stove to my sisters house, where it still sits today.........waiting to bake some of those fabulous cookies! 

I have one more thing to show you..........I posted this on my blog once before but not for Vintage Thingie Thursdays.........but since I am posting appliances I think my Singer Treadle Sewing Machine is appropriate for today.  I inherited this beauty from my MIL, Ruth and it still works!



Well I am going to add just one more thing...........my own sewing machine that I've had since I was a teenager........an old Rockford that I purchased for about $10. 


It didn't have a cabinet for many years but when my son, Jeremy, was a teenager he found the cabinet at a garage sale.  He hid it in the garage, stripped all the paint and refinished it for my birthday!  I just love this cabinet........don't know who the maker is but it has a wonderful handle at one end that allows it to be pushed easily on its wheels.  This little machine has been working for me for many many years and I used it exclusively until about two years ago when I finally bought myself a new Singer..........
That's it for today........Thanks for dropping in.  Please hop over to Suzanne's place at Coloradolady and check out all the other Vintage Thursday Thingie treasures linked there.......I will see you all in blogland soon but...........ta-ta for now!




14 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a grand old stove.xx

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh, memories of mother's old Singer's sewing machine just came to me. She used to make me dresses and I used to play next to her playing I was a seamstress myself, with my dolls, lol..The stove is adorable too. Thanks for sharing and for your lovely visit. Have a blessed Easter.
FABBY

Michelle@ A Full Cottage said...

How wonderful two family treasures and a "new" piece to become a family treasure!!!

:) Michelle

Josie McRazie said...

My friend moved into a house about four years ago and there was a big beast like this in there! They had to have a guy come in and fix it, but it still works and she uses it every day! She has talked about having the guy fix it so there is a pilot light so she does not have to use a LONG match to light the oven every time! LOL! Those matches are getting hard to find!

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Wow, your grandma's Ward stove is amazing. How wonderful it's still in the family. Love your vintage sewing machines too. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Hilachas said...

Yep, I know that wonderful stove and its delicious cookies. I didn't know all the history on your own old sewing machine and cabinet. The fact that Jeremy found and finished that cabinet makes it even more special.

Heather@Tatter and Fray said...

I love both the stove and the sewing machine (and cabinet!). In today's disposable society it's nice to remember things that were made to last...

Coloradolady said...

I love them both!!! What great treasures to have. Happy VTT!

LV said...

I can relate to both of them. You definitely have "keepers" with them both. In great condition as well.

Diann said...

Great vintage stove! when I was 18 i worked at "Monkey Ward". I had a lot of fun working there. It was always the store we went to to get our new school clothes. Have a happy Easter!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Hello!
Thanks so much for your visit!!

I LOVE that stove and I have a Singer Sewing machine that is quite similar to yours. It was my Hubby's grand mother's and I have it now in my Sewing/Craft Room.

Wishing you a very Happy Easter!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Cherie said...

What a cool looking stove! Send some of the biscuits my way!
Love the sewing machine! =D

The French Hutch said...

What fabulous vintage treasure! I can almost taste those melt in your mouth sugar cookies.

~Emily
The French Hutch

Pam Kessler said...

What a great stove! I'm glad you finally got the recipe for the cookies. We have a family recipe for sugar cookies too!